Ed's D

My 1983 De Lorean DMC-12, VIN 16908

Side Mirrors Repaired

Ever since I bought 16908, the driver’s side mirror has been wobbly. Someone previously took the bottom cover off the mirror, and tried repairing it. They didn’t, and the plastic cover was lost.

I was able to disassemble it, bend the compression washers, and stiffen up the mirror. I also cut a new piece of plastic to cover the inside of the mirror, and used RTV to secure it.
20130708_193201
The passenger side mirror has never been able to move on its vertical axis. Luckily the electrical connections were dirty, after just needed to be scuffed up to restore power to the motor.

My driver’s side convex mirror glass position needed to be corrected. I removed it, and reattached it with some 3M molding tape.
20130708_193217
 For the first time since I’ve owned the car, I have two perfectly working side mirrors!

Costs:

Item Vendor

Cost

Tax

Total

Molding Tape Advance Auto Parts

$ 6.99

$ 0.58

$ 7.57

Kneepad Maintenance

My previous owner had the passenger side kneepad recovered. However, the wrong vinyl was used, and the recover job didn’t turn out very well. I’ve grown to dislike the kneepad over the years, so I located a used kneepad in good condition:
DSC_0578
DSC_0580
DSC_0582
DSC_0581

It has the right pebble texture, and the ripples in the vinyl. It’s a little worn and sun-faded, but I planned to re-dye it anyway since it needs to be black.

My other kneepads were loose, and they had to come out when I replaced my steering column. I also gave them a good cleaning before re-dying them. It turns out, they were disgustingly filthy! Lots of dirt, possibly from when the car was abandoned many years ago.

Dying the kneepads and door panels:
20130531_224857

Passenger kneepad dyed:
DSC_0585

I think they turned out well:
DSC_0598

DSC_0609

DSC_0608
I plan to sell the recovered kneepad, and “recover” some money. With these kneepads, now I feel I need to recover or replace the dash, binnacle, and A-pillars.

Item Vendor

Cost

Used Passenger Side Kneepad  

$ 90.00

SEM Landau Black Color Coat Summit Racing

$ 9.95

Total:

$ 99.95

New Seatbacks

My seatbacks were broken. The vinyl was torn, scuffed, worn, ripped, patched, and disintegrating. Even the staples for the material were rusted. I decided to try and make some new ones.
DSC_0600

DSC_0592

DSC_0593

DSC_0590

Tools Used:
Jig Saw
Sharpie Marker
Dremel or Rotary Tool
Drill, drill bits, countersink
Disposable Paint Brush
Rivet Tool
Scissors
Razor blade
Heat Gun

Supplies:
Vinyl
Hardboard
Contact Adhesive
Rivets

I drilled out the rivets on my old seatbacks, and reclaimed the brackets. I marked the position of all the holes with an old seatback. After drilling the holes, I riveted on the brackets. I then spread on some contact adhesive and let it tack up. Then I warmed up the vinyl with my heat gun, stretched it and attached it to the board. Finally, some trimming with a scissors and razor.
DSC_0588

DSC_0591

DSC_0594

DSC_0595

DSC_0596
Marking the holes for the screws was the hardest part:
DSC_0601

DSC_0602

DSC_0604

The passenger side came out great!. Unfortunately the driver’s side is sub-par, and will need to be recovered at some point. For now, it’s still a huge improvement.

Costs:

Item

Vendor

Cost

Tax

Total

Dap Weldwood Contact Cement

Home Depot

On Hand

Disposable Paint Brush

Home Depot

On Hand

Black Shang Vinyl

Hancock Fabrics

$ 9.49

$ 0.59

$ 10.08

4′ X 4′ Hardboard

Menards

$ 4.79

$ 0.41

$ 5.20

Rivets

Home Depot

$ 5.24

$ 0.43

$ 5.67

4 Screws, 4 Nylon Washers

Ace Hardware

$ 2.12

$ 0.16

$ 2.28

Total:

$ 23.23