Ed's D

My 1983 De Lorean DMC-12, VIN 16908

New coolant hose

As I mentioned in a previous post, I noticed a very small coolant leak coming from the host from my coolant bottle. The hose clamp was corroded, so I ordered a new hose with clamps. This was my first venture with cooling system maintenance. I asked someone how tight should the hose clamps be – to paraphrase, they replied “it’s hard to say, you have to have a feel for it.”

So I didn’t want to drain the whole cooling system. It’s still March, and freezing cold out. I’ll do it later this year. I bought a small pump so I could empty the tank. I bought one new hose online, and received three:

Bonus! Thank you. Got my pump:

My problematic hose and clamp:

Old hose left, new hose right. Not quite the same…

New hose installed:

Add some new coolant:

Why is my old coolant brown?

All done! Haven’t seen the hose leak yet.

Supplies:

Prestone 50/50: On Hand
Water hose large to water bottle tank: $9.95 @ SpecialTAuto.com
Fluid Transfer Pump: $4.99 @ Autozone

Tightened Fuel pump boot cover

I’d been getting a gasoline smell in the car when I would fill up. Someone suggested it could be the clamp on the fuel pump boot cover. I’d never accessed this area, so I read up on it, and went for it.

You can still see some residue around the boot. I’ll check it again in the future.

The fuel was around the boot cover, and not the fuel level sender. The boot and cover seems like a terrible design. The hose clamp can easily slide off the boot cover, which I think is what happened. I cleaned off the top of the tank, repositioned the boot cover, and clamp, and tightened it back down.

I’m proud to say I filled up with gas over the weekend, and I couldn’t smell any gas in the cabin.

Chicago St. Patrick’s Day Parade

I was able to schedule a Saturday off of work (Yep, I work Saturdays during tax Season) and participate in the Chicago St. Patrick’s Day Parade.

My fiancé and I drove down early in the morning, and arrived too early. We got to drive up front with Rich W, and got to use a DeLorean Midwest Connection banner on my car. We waited for several hours in the cold, but had a great day. We got to show off the car a lot, and met lots of people. At one point, a couple people talked with us and about my car and DeLoreans in general. It took us awhile to realize it was Illinois Senator Dick Durbin.


Me with My D.


(above) People checking out my car


(above) Rich W’s fiberglass BTTF prop, the truck towing it, my car, Rich W’s car.


(above) Me, Senator Dick Durbin, My fiancé. My doors in the background.



And I have some video on Youtube: Link 1, Link 2

 

Trailing Arm Shield came off, coolant leak

So while I’m doing my oil change, I look back at the rear wheels, and am horrified to see this:

It appears the passenger side trailing arm shield came loose, and was wrenched down under the axle (I never heard or felt it). Probably when that happened the axle boot came off. I tried forcing the shield back into position, but couldn’t do it easily.

I just had rebuilt axles installed mid-last year. The car has only driven a few hundred miles since I last looked under the car at the tech session this fall. I’m guessing it hasn’t been long since the CV boot has been off.

So I had some questions about if I should rebuild the axle and replace the boot, and how can I secure the trailing arm shield better. I was relieved to find out I could reattach the boot, and secure it. I removed the clamps, put the boot back in place, and secured it with zip ties. Sadly, the boot has a small puncture, and should be replaced. I’ll think about doing this next winter, and I’ll keep an eye on the zip ties in the meantime.

I took the trailing arm shield off, and examined the clips. They’re corroded and kind of bent up. I don’t have a part number for them, but I’ll try to find some replacements. Since I had one trailing arm shield off, I decided to examine the TAB. After looking over the process for inspecting the TABS, I invested in a floor jack, and some jack stands. With the car jacked up, I tried wiggling the rear wheels, but they were secure. I can see the shims on my passenger side, and I can conclude I’m not missing any on the driver’s side. Someday I’ll check the bolts, but for now I’m satisfied.

I also bought a torque wrench for future TAB replacement, and other projects. So far I can’t figure it out.

While under the car, I also noticed a small coolant leak coming from the hose joint below the tank. The hose clamp looks corroded, so I ordered a new hose with clamps.

Good thing I do my own oil changes!

Out of Storage, Oil Change

I went and picked up the D last Thursday. I had charged the battery the previous night in my daily driver. The D started right up, and I drove it home without any problems. Or so I thought… more on that in the next blog post.

I drove the car up on my ramps, drained the oil. After installing a new oil filter, I emptied the last of the Castrol 20w 50 in one of my gallon containers, and started another. After I finished that gallon container, I realized I just dumped in a four quarts of 10w 40. $h1t. I bought the wrong oil. So I decided I didn’t care, added more 10w 40 and finished off with more 20w 50. Both are acceptable oils for the D.

Supplies used:

5 Quarts Castrol GTX 10w 40
2 Quarts Castrol GTX 20w 50
Bosch Oil Filter
Copper Crush Washer